Select from the available course dates below to complete your registration.
The course will cover the theory and practical aspects of planning and undertaking asbestos surveys in buildings of various types, and the safe and representative sampling of all types of asbestos materials.
The BOHS is the chartered society for worker health protection.
The BOHS vision is to create a healthy working environment for everyone by preventing exposure to hazardous substances in the workplace. The BOHS is one of the leading awarding bodies in the occupational hygiene field. Their UK qualifications are recognised and respected by independent agencies such as the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS), and locally by the the AIOH. Over 50,000 people have taken one of the BOHS qualifications through the BOHS network of training providers.
We are currently delivering the IP402 course remotely on the video conferencing platform GoTo, enabling students to receive the same level of technical learning as they would in the classroom. All materials are delivered in advance to participants including those for practical assessments. Exams are also held online.
Candidates for this course are expected to be aware of the principles required to survey for asbestos in buildings and have prior experience of being involved with asbestos surveying.
We are delighted to announce that we will now be delivering our courses remotely on the video conferencing platform GoTo, enabling students to receive the same level of technical learning as they would in the classroom.
All materials are delivered in advance to participants including those for practical assessments. Exams are also held online.
Candidates will gain a background and practical knowledge in the surveying of buildings for asbestos and be provided general guidance on the management procedures necessary to minimise exposure to any identified asbestos. Candidates will be trained to produce reports incorporating material and priority risk assessments and make appropriate remedial recommendations to their clients.
- Have a clear understanding of the requirements relating to safe management of asbestos in buildings and be able to communicate appropriately with colleagues and clients.
- Be able to describe the uses of asbestos in buildings and the public health risk these might pose and understand the principles of and requirements for asbestos surveys.
- Understand the risk assessment and risk management strategies and their role in reducing health risks.
- Have a detailed knowledge of the approved methods for sampling of bulk asbestos along with the situations where segregation may be required. In addition Candidates must have a good understanding of suitable PPE/RPE to be used and the methods for personal decontamination.
- Understand how to carry out surveys to identify the presence of asbestos and its type in different locations including:
- Understand of buildings and their structures
- Surveying and sampling techniques
- Safety requirements for surveying
- Post survey evaluation
These are 3-day taught courses that provide practical, hands-on training for managing asbestos. Students are taught in small groups by our approved trainers and the courses are very interactive with workshops and exercises. On completion of each module, you will receive an Award of Successful Course Completion for that module.
During the course there will be a practical assessment. On the completion of the course there will be two written assessments:
- theory short answers; and
- a practical written assessment.
Successful completion of the course provides the candidate with an International Proficiency Certificate in Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in Buildings from the BOHS (British Occupational Hygiene Society).
Following the successful completion of the course the candidate can provide two asbestos surveys that include sampling, analysis and material assessment in order to be awarded International Proficiency Certificate in Report Writing for Asbestos Surveys.
Occupational Hygienists who have COH status are also eligible to gain COH points for their attendance and completion of the BOHS courses. For the Asbestos courses COHs will gain 1 point per day with a total of 3 points.
In the event of a cancellation, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellation within 4 weeks of course start date: 50% of total course fee.
- Cancellation within 2 weeks of course start date: 100% of total course fee.