Asbestiform minerals are widely distributed in Western Australia and can be major components of the mafic and ultramafic rocks hosting gold and base metal deposits located in Western Australia’s “greenstone belts”. In addition, amphiboles (such as crocidolite, actinolite, anthophyllite) and chrysotile may also be encountered in the Pilbara as part of the Hamersley.
Fibrous minerals only present a health hazard when airborne. For mining and exploration, this includes activities that generate dust such as drilling, sample cutting and collection, blasting, transporting material, and crushing. RED OHMS Group can assess the potential for occurrence of naturally occurring fibrous minerals across a Project and provide a fibrous mineral management plan (FMMP) that provides for the management of fibrous minerals and investigate.
The purpose of the FMMP is to evaluate the hazards associated with fibrous minerals in the workplace and standardise procedures and appropriate controls that will prevent workplace exposure to harmful levels of naturally occurring fibrous minerals.
RED OHMS Group has had experience in managing naturally occurring asbestiform minerals at numerous mines and locations in Western Australia. Often the work includes:
- clarifying the existence and spread of asbestiform minerals through projects/operations.
- determining contaminated/non-contaminated zones in accordance with regulatory guidelines by defining a sampling strategy and collecting material samples.
- determining the presence of asbestiform minerals in RC drill materials using an onsite laboratory for same day turn around on results.
- analysing for the presence of asbestiform minerals in air samples using an onsite laboratory for same day turn around on results;
development of fibrous minerals management plans (FMMPS).
- advice and guidance on the implementation of FMMPs.
- baseline airborne fibre exposure monitoring: and fibre exposure monitoring in line with health and hygiene management plans, with subsequent DMIRS specific deliverables (SRS uploads, feedback letters, exceedance reports etc.).
For more information on how RED OHMS Group can help you please contact us HERE